Amanda’s “Feast for a Foodie” Birthday DinnerPosted: July 9, 2011
Not only do I have a great Director of Marketing who is a terrific person; she also gave me a great birthday present: An excellent home cooked Fried Chicken dinner with incredible Mac & Cheese and perfect chicken. She even posted the whole thing on her own blog as “Feast for a Foodie!”
Here is Amanda’s recipe for Fried Chicken:
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (Amanda reports having used more than this)
- About 1/2 cup hot red pepper sauce (Amanda used Frank’s Wing Sauce)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Emeril’s Original Essence Seasoning (approximated by what was on hand)
- 1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil
In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.