Roasted Zucchini and Potato TartPosted: August 30, 2011
• 1 generous pinch saffron threads
• 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced into thin rounds
• 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
• 2 zucchini, cut into thin rounds
• 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Olive oil
• 6 cups watercress
• 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a medium saucepan, toast the saffron threads over medium-high heat until they become aromatic, around 30 seconds. Add the potatoes, 2 teaspoons of salt and cover with water. Let the water come to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are barely done, around 15 minutes. Strain and let cool.
2. Unfold the sheet of puff pastry onto a greased baking sheet and prick the surface all over with the tines of a fork. Brush the top of the pastry with olive oil, then sprinkle with fine salt. In a large bowl, toss the zucchini slices and potato slices with olive oil to coat, and salt to taste. Layer the slices closely on top of the pastry, alternating rows of zucchini and potato, and leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake until the crust turns a golden-brown color, around 20 minutes.
3. While the tart is cooking, make a salad dressing by whisking together 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss the watercress and the crumbled goat cheese with the dressing. Divide the salad onto four plates and serve with a slice of the tart. Serves 4.