My Plate (replaces Food Pyramid)Posted: October 29, 2011
The USDA has replaced the old food pyramid with My Plate – a picture of what we should eat, with these basic principles:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
Foods to Reduce
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals ― and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.