Foodie to Fittie – Month One Report – SUCCESS!Posted: June 30, 2012
25 days ago, I made a commitment to changing my life in my blog “Foodie to Fittie”. I’m pleased and proud to report that in the past 25 days, I’ve gotten rid of 10.5 pounds. (I haven’t “lost” it – because I don’t intend to ever find it!) AND, I’ve continued to eat incredible gourmet food. And, taken a four-day trip to Las Vegas.
Take a look at these pictures, and look at the restaurants I’ve eaten in, just in the past 25 days:
Andrei’s (3 times)
Scott’s Restaurant (Costa Mesa)
Sage (Newport Beach)
Bouchon Bistro (Las Vegas)
Wynn Hotel Buffet (Las Vegas)
Fleur by Hubert Keller (Las Vegas)
L’Atelier de Joel Robouchon (including 8 courses and 2 desserts) (Las Vegas)
Rick Moonen Seafood (Las Vegas)
Gabbi’s Mexican Kitchen (Orange)
Wildfish Grill (Newport Beach)
Wasa Sushi (Irvine)
Tommy’s Burgers (Barstow) – A Chili Cheeseburger and Cheese fries!
So how am I getting this done, with all this fine dining?
- Almost no refined/white carbs – 80% reduction in bread, potatoes, white rice, etc.
- Almost no sugar – 90% reduction in sugar intake
- Minimal drinking – 3 drinks in 25 days (including Las Vegas!)
- Lots of vegetables. Typical restaurant dinner is lean protein on double order of roasted veggies.
- Lots of salad-as-a-meal. I try to do this 5 times a week. Greens, veggies, proteins, usually with no dressing, or just a tad of olive oil. Even better is hummus as a dressing. Just finished a great salad from Gelson’s salad bar, topped with a wonderful slab (5 oz) of trimmed medium rare prime rib (from their sandwich bar – ordered a la carte).
- Eating things I like, like omelets, but made healthy, and without potatoes, toast, etc.
- Exercise – only 6 formal exercise hours so far in 25 days, but it is doing the trick. I plan to double this to at least 3 hours per week. Oh how I would love to be an excellent swimmer again!
- Rejoined the health club I knew and loved for so many years.
- Being willing to be a little hungry. I eat only fruit or nuts between meals, and I joyfully go to bed a bit hungry sometimes, knowing the scale will reflect the benefit the next day.
By the way, I feel great! More energy, better alertness, and happier. Absolutely no sense of deprivation at all. I am not counting calories, points or anything formal. Just making sound choices at each opportunity. And by the way, no headaches of any consequence. Whenever I eat an “anti-inflammatory diet”, my headache occurrence drops dramatically.
When I strategically plan to indulge, like a chili cheeseburger or the incredible meal at Joel Robouchon, I make up for it before and after (by eating less and lower-calorie foods), which is basically how thin people think and eat!
I have a full 18 month plan mapped out, including time off for holidays, trips, etc. My goal for July is a modest 3-4 lb. reduction, because I will be in London for 8 days.
I will be at my goal by the end of 2013. Wish me luck. This will be a life-altering experience for me, and hopefully in all good ways. I won’t bore you every month, but I will issue periodic reports. I was just so proud and happy that I could do this, I had to let you know!